Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Im Too Blessed To Forget

I was sitting in the front row of the left pew listening to Elder Julien preach about “I’m too blessed to be depressed.” It was the day after my birthday and I was exhausted from being up until 4 o’clock that morning but I managed to stay awake and alert. I did not feel like the topic necessarily related to me because I am not depressed so I started to think and came up with my own topic. “I am too blessed to forget.”

All I could do is think about starting my new, permanent job the next day, and the 3yrs that I spent jobless or in a temporary position. I remembered all the times that I had to wake up three hours early just to get to church on time because I had to take two buses to get there. I thought back to the days that I would spend the entire day in church just so I didn’t have to go home. Oh the days when practically all my friends seemed to disappear one by one because I was no longer the party girl. The sad days when I used to be with a cheating boyfriend and just acted like I didn’t notice his changed demeanor because back then I didn’t know Jesus and I thought my boyfriend was all I had. I thought back to the days when I hated waking up so much that I would spend days in bed covered from head to toe, only waking up to shed some tears. Wow. I have been too blessed to forget where I came from. Some people see my glory and make up their own stories, but if they only knew, this is not even 15% of my testimony.

I often ask myself, would people want my life if they truly knew what it took to get me here. Would they really want my relationship if they knew everything we had to endure to make it to eight years? Would they still wish they thought of creating this blog before me if they knew that it took one of the worst situations in my life to get this idea? Would they want my ministry if they heard my testimony? The truth is we really don’t know what it took for the people around us to survive. Whenever I come from my best friends’ house I pass a deserted street where women prostitute themselves. As my car approaches they wave at it, or try to walk right up to it, not knowing who is driving. I never look down on them or attempt to judge them. I don’t know their story. I don’t know what led them to sell their bodies for a living, so I always say a prayer for them as I drive past. Under different circumstances it could have been me, my friend, my mother, or even my daughter out there. I learned to count my blessings and not other people’s failures.

I am too blessed to forget where my joy came from. I am too blessed to forget who gave me true love. I am too blessed to forget what led me to Jesus in the first place. I am too blessed to forget what it felt like when I did not have a reliable car to rely on. I am too blessed to forget when I was depressed. I am truly blessed.

What did you forget?


“They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.”
Psalm 22:5
KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment